Are you looking for a way to add some pizzazz to your black hair? If so, you may consider trying black hair with highlights. Highlights are a great way to add dimension and interest to your hair and can also help accentuate your features.
Of course, when choosing highlights, you will want to make sure that you choose a color that complements your skin tone. Consider the style of highlighting that you want. For instance, do you want thin, subtle, or thick, bold highlights?
So, if you are ready to add some serious style to your black hair, read on!
Hair Highlighting Techniques
What You’ll Need?
- 1-2 shades lighter box dye than your natural hair color.
- An Old Shirt
- Sectioning Clips
Procedure To Follow
- To remove any tangles or knots, brush your hair. Ensure your hair hasn’t been washed in at least two days to achieve the best results.
- Wear an old shirt that you don’t mind getting stains on, and put on your gloves.
- Throughout your forehead, ears, and neck, apply Vaseline along your whole hairline.
- Choose your hair’s highlighting technique. If you have fine hair, you should use thin (less than 14 inches), uniformly spaced portions, and if your hair is voluminous or curly, you should use thicker (12 inches), sparsely scattered parts.
- Mix the colorant and developer as directed on the box.
- As usual, divide your hair into sections.
- Color your hair with a toothbrush (this provides greater precision than a standard brush).
- Make sure the front highlights are more prominent than the back ones.
- Especially if you continuously adjust your section, remember to add some light in the lower levels.
- Keep the dye on for the suggested time.
- Cleanse and condition your hair.
Considerations Before Highlighting Your Hair
Beautiful highlight options abound for dark hair. You must take special precautions when visiting a salon to avoid damaging your locks. Before highlighting your lovely dark hair, remember the tips in the infographic below.
- To lessen chemical damage from hair dyes, strengthen the hair roots in advance.
- Pick a highlight hue that goes well with your skin tone by being aware of it.
- To keep your natural hair oil, shampoo your hair for at least three days before highlighting.
- To find out if you may be allergic to chemicals, perform a patch test.
- After shampooing, use a leave-in conditioner to achieve silky, moisturized hair that will shine.
To help you choose the perfect highlights for your black hair, we have compiled a list of 18 fabulous black hair with highlights to try in 2023.
1) Black Hair With Natural Highlights
Bring your gorgeous color to life without overpowering it with subtle, natural highlights. An ashy brown tone will work instead of going blonde to add traits!
You can begin brightening with natural colors near the top of your head and work your way down to the ends of your hair. This shade will make your hair look the healthiest, regardless of the kind.
2) Black Hair With Full Highlights
Full highlights give your hair depth and keep it from seeming lifeless. Dark hair is given depth and dimension by a delicate blend of dark and light browns that doesn’t overshadow your base hue.
The best place to begin these highlights is at your eye line, so whenever you turn your head, a different shade will catch the light and draw attention to you.
3) Black Hair With Honey Blonde Highlights
With beachy waves or loose, voluminous curls, honey-blonde highlights beautifully illuminate the face. The tasseled, “just-got-out-of-bed” style is a terrific way to give your hair some drama without dominating it or detracting from your best features.
Light should begin with a gentle frame around your face and glimmers that hit your hair where the sun naturally shines.
4) Black Hair With Blonde Highlights
Buttery blonde highlights will brighten your face and give you a healthy-looking glow. Blonde is the ideal color for people who want to try out lighter tints without committing to coloring their entire head of hair. Highlights will open your eyes, and shade will extend from your eye line.
5) Black Hair With Blonde Ombre Highlights
An ombre of creamy blonde can help you transition into the warmer months by giving your hair and face a healthy glow. Starting at the base of your roots, the highlights gradually get lighter as you go down.
Whenever you add blonde ribbons to the top of your hairline, keep your dark tones as the focal point, and leave the ends alone. Use a toner now and then to prevent brassiness.
6) Black Hair With Platinum Highlights
Icy highlights are the perfect color for those with light eyes and fair skin since they give you an edgy appearance. It takes effort to achieve this style, but the results are priceless.
Start by placing a few centimeters’ worth of platinum slivers around the base of your head, then progressively combine the lighter shade with the contrast color.
Maintain those golden locks with a silver toner to make it appear like you just left the salon every time you leave the house.
7) Black Hair With Classic Copper Highlights
Use copper to give traditional highlighting a new spin. Copper is the perfect color for individuals who want subtlety or want to add some drama, depending on the intensity you want to communicate!
Lighten the crown of your head with a slow and deep black, then lighten it further with a copper hue. Your eyes will stand out more thanks to a few golden strands, and your hair will look like a shining gem.
8) Black Hair With Plum Burgundy Highlights
Burgundy highlights add a warm, vibrant glow to black hair, making them ideal for people with darker complexion tones.
The subdued color can be swept down the middle of your hair, starting with the dark red near the front. People will be in for a lovely surprise when you turn your head because this color is so subtle.
9) Black Hair With Red Highlights
A splash of color can give it a relaxed, playful feel. Dark hair tones seem sensual and vampy with red highlights. Start with highlights at your hair’s roots and blend the remaining wash for a less-subtle tint.
A color this intense should always seem fresh, so be careful to renew the red every few weeks using a color booster.
10) Black Hair With Subtle Highlights
Subtle highlights will maintain the depth and multidimensionality of your gorgeous black hair. Remember that less can be more when bringing life to dark hair; blonde isn’t the only option.
Your hair will look stylish and modern when you add ashy tones. Anywhere the sun would naturally strike your hair would be an excellent place to start adding subtle highlights.
Going one or two shades lighter than your natural base color is ideal for those who prefer to keep things subtle.
11) Black Hair With Blue Highlights
To keep it both delicate and edgy, use blue highlights. The brilliance of the blue will reflect the lights and instantly convey a sense of glitz.
Similar to purple, you don’t have to emphasize blue on every part of your hair; add a few blue locks here and there to keep things interesting.
Start with highlights below the level of your ear, then intermittently lighten a few hairs. With this color combination, you can simultaneously look rock-chic and subdued.
12) Black Hair With Purple Highlights
Be ultraviolet and attract attention with stunning purple accents. The dark hue draws attention to your eyes and gives your hair a hint of magic.
Keep the purple hues sparse if you want to preserve an edgy and fashionable look. You don’t have to use purple tints all over the place.
For more depth and character, apply other purple hues to your hair since this color combination works on any hair type.
13) Black Hair With Golden Highlights
Golden highlights will warm up your appearance and give you a healthy shine. Your rich black tone blends beautifully with the golden hue. It looks like you just walked off a runway with these shades.
For a beachy, sun-kissed look, feather the golden hues from your ear length to the ends of your hair. Alternatively, start at the roots for a worn-in, celebrity-inspired style.
14) Black Hair With Brown Highlights
Black hair looks stunning with highlights that can give the color depth and character. This may be added to all textures, lengths, and kinds of hair and is a terrific method to keep the hair from looking flat.
Because they provide less contrast, dark brown highlights are more comfortable to wear than lighter ones, like blondes.
Highlights are appealing because they lighten the hair while also improving your appearance. This is the way to go if you’re looking for a way to update your locks.
15) Black Hair With Chestnut Highlights
Warm chestnut highlights will give your dark hair some liveliness. These earthy hues complement various hair textures and look great on olive and darker skin tones.
From any point on your head, the shade can move downward toward the ends of your hair. Creating a vibrant tapestry of earthy tones will enhance your features and add vitality to your hair.
16) Black Hair With Blonde Streaks
Wear blonde streaks on their dark hair for people who wish to stand out. It is a great technique to change hair, giving it life and lift, but the contrast between blonde and black also creates a difference in hue.
The addition of blonde will highlight your texture and draw attention to your hair. Using chunky streaks to carefully frame the face or concentrating the color on the ends for a dip-dye look are two other options.
17) Black Hair With Caramel Highlights
Your hair has lovely dimensions due to the thick streaks of caramel highlights that span the length of your black strands. Add a few loose waves here and there to highlight that fantastic balayage.
18) Partial Balayage Highlights With Black Hair
Partial balayage will help you keep most of your stunning black hair. A soft highlight adds depth to your hair by lightly highlighting only portions at a time.
You don’t necessarily have to choose a blonde to obtain a lovely balayage; go with any hue you choose. Greys, chestnuts, or chocolate browns are simple to maintain and require little upkeep.
For those who aren’t concerned about visiting the salon every six weeks, partial balayage is the ideal alternative. Let it develop and observe how it maintains its beauty.
In conclusion, black hair with highlights is an excellent and trendy style for 2023. This look is achieved by adding lighter colors to the hair, which can help to brighten up the face and add dimension. If you’re thinking of trying this style, be sure to share your thoughts with your stylist.